Registering a Business in Uganda
1. Start by searching for a suitable name which can be done free of charge with the help of Uganda Registration Services Bureau. https://ursb.go.ug/name-search/
2. After choosing a suitable name for the business, reserve it with Uganda Registration Services Bureau at a cost of shs24,000 – this takes less than three hours. https://ursb.go.ug/name-reservation/
3. The next step is obtaining a certificate of Incorporation. Processing will take between 4 and 6 hours and is subject to submission of all relevant documents. https://ursb.go.ug/business-registration-forms/
4. Then obtain an investment license from the Uganda Investment Authority. This is free of charge and takes between 2 and 5 days. https://www.ugandainvest.go.ug/
5. After obtaining an investment license, a Tax Identification Number (TIN) from the Uganda Revenue Authority is required. This can be done online free of charge but if a third party is used, agent costs apply. https://www.ura.go.ug/myTin.do
6. Then a trading license from the local municipality or city authority where the business will be located is required. The business premises should be ready for inspection. The trading license can be processed in less than two days and expires on 31st December of every year.
7. If the business has five or more employees it must be registered with the National Social Security Fund. This is free of charge and takes less than 7 days.
8. The business must obtain either a company seal or a business seal.
For Foreign companies
Any foreign business/ company which is incorporated in another country that wishes to carry out business in Uganda must be locally registered.
For foreign companies, the following documents are required:
- Certified copies of Memorandum of Articles of Association/Charter/ Constitution and Certificate from the country of origin duly witnessed.
- Registration forms:
- Form 24 – Particulars of Directors and Secretary
- Form 13 – Statement of all subsisting charges
- Form 25 – List of Names and Address of Persons Resident in Uganda authorized to accept service on behalf of the company.